TEDxFulbright Invites the Public to “Dare to THINK” Event
Washington, DC — TEDxFulbright, to be held April 5, 2014 at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, will feature TEDTalks videos, 15 original speakers and two gifted musicians. In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience.
Seldom do two independent concepts embrace one another as well as Fulbright and TEDx. The Fulbright Scholarship Program nurtures mutual understanding across cultures by the exchange of talented individuals, as ambassadors in all fields of professional engagement.
“TED and TEDx treat brilliant ideas as the rockstars of the world, and Senator Fulbright certainly had an idea worth spreading, It will be a day of creative brainstorms on social innovation, provocative questions to rattle the establishment, and talks that will electrify a diverse community. Whether of courage in the face of oppression, ingenuity at a time of stalemate, or discovery from inspired research, the day will showcase profound stories and remarkable ideas by Fulbrighters,” explains Julianne McCall, the event’s Lead Curator.
Charged, succinct presentations from dynamic speakers, memorable performances, the final, live round of the Fulbright Social Innovation Challenge, and an eye-opening hands-on Experience Lab, will make for a rich and stimulating day—including a catered lunch, and a champagne reception in the evening. The event has been developed by an international team from the Fulbright Association, serving the global alumni network of the scholarship program.
Local, self-organized events branded TEDx—where x = independently organized TED event—receive guidance for the program, but individual events are self-organized. “TEDx has shown immense promise in furthering ideas for the benefit of all societies in a way that is both personable (revolutionary story-telling) and powerful (demonstrating incredible feats of intellect, creativity, and collaboration),” McCall offers.
This year’s TEDxFulbright Host is Ingo Zamperoni, Medium magazine’s 2013 Journalist of the Year and Save the Children Ambassador. Zamperoni ranks among the most popular TV correspondents in his native Germany. He serves as the German ARD Network’s Foreign Correspondent in Washington, D.C., where he spent his Fulbright year in 1998.
TEDxFulbright will welcome up to 350 alumni, current grantees, and friends to the nation’s capital to brainstorm on social innovation, stimulate rich conversation, and connect deeply through a shared commitment to the Fulbright Vision. More than 60 countries will be represented by speakers and participants, guaranteeing a most exhilarating exchange of hope, insight, and passion.
Our roster of stellar presenters:
- Romain Lacombe, Head of Innovation for Etalab (French PM’s Open Data Taskforce)
- Laura Skandera Trombley, Member, Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board and President of Pitzer College
- Massimiliano Versace, Director of Boston’s Neuromorphics Lab, DARPA SyNAPSE Program
- Lisa Dyson, Energy Scientist and serial entrepreneur
- David Baker, Professor of Education and Sociology, Penn State University
- Danielle Cho, Cellist, Co-Founder of Sound Impact, frequent National Philharmonic guest
- Rush Doshi, Defense Analyst
- Arlene Birt, Visual Storyteller, Sustainability Advocate
- Michael Forster Rothbart, Photojournalist of Contamination Zones
- Lennart Joos, Climate Scientist, UC Berkeley
- Rebecca Davis, Founder, Rebecca Davis Dance Company
- Paola Santana, Lawyer & Entrepreneur, Matternet: Robotic, automated Transportation
- Santiago Garcia, Founder, online political voting platform
- Marlene Stearns, Founder, 3Psourcing, Women in Agriculture
- Jennifer Welch, Committee of 100
- Jeremy Xido, Documentary Filmmaker
- Vivienne Aerts, Jazz Singer and Songwriter
Full bios and images are available at http://www.tedxfulbright.org/dc-speakers/
Online: http://www.tedxfulbright.org and http://www.ted.com/tedx/events/9144
TEDxFulbright will be livestreamed and live-Twitted using the hashtag #TedxFulbright.
Licensed by TED to highlight the vision of the Fulbright Program for international understanding and proactive community engagement, TEDxFulbright is a one-day interdisciplinary conference for Fulbright alumni and internationally-minded members of the public guided by the theme “Dare to THINK” and organized by the Fulbright Association. Additional sponsors include the US Chamber of Commerce, Ana G. Mendez University, The Robert and Mimie Helm Family Charitable Trust, Marywood College, Mastech Holdings, Inc., and Executive Speaking Success.