Call for Speaker Session Proposals
The Fulbright Association is calling for session proposals that inspire our attendees to “DARE to Act!”. With the current Fulbright program budget cuts looming, we are seeking breakout sessions with a “wow” factor, are provocative, unify Fulbrighters/individuals that care about our program, and leaves attendees thirsting for more!
Guildelines and Information:
Session proposals should fit within the conference’s theme” DARE to Act!” and address how Fulbrighters and others, through their work and research, are taking action to change the world and inspire those around them to do the same. Registration is required for all speakers.
We will have two sessions that will require multiple speakers, each with specific “DARE” themes. Session proposals should be submitted in one of two sessions listed below.
SESSION I: DARE to Impact! Agents of Change Session
In this session, we are looking for multiple presenters with projects and/or from organizations currently in action, not in concept only. We are seeking presentations from a variety of industry disciplines outlined below. Type of session: 20 minute presentations that will rotate in a TEDx like format.
Specific Discipline Options –
- Business and Entrepreneurship
- Human Rights and Social Justice
- Science and Technology
- Global Health Policy
- Arts and Humanities
SESSION II: DARE to Include!
In this session, we are looking for submissions with innovative and if possible, proven award winning inclusion techniques from corporate, institutional, and non-profit sectors. Type of session: speaker or non-traditional formats.
In order to present engaging, dynamic breakout sessions, preference will be given to presentations in non-traditional interactive formats. For example:
- Panel of no more than three people addressing a unique angle on the topic which complements the other two panelists with a clear connection to the topic;
- A debate or opposing views format where two sides of a hot topic are discussed/debated;
- An interview format where one presenter would have a revealing, provocative interview with an expert in their field;
- A pecha kucha format where presenters each get 20 slides and 7 minutes to deliver their piece;
- Round table interactive discussion
The proposal should note be more than one page in length (single spaced) and should include:
- the name of presenter(s);
- the presenter(s)’s contact info (must include email & phone);
- Fulbright year and location of exchange (if applicable);
- the presenter(s)’s credentials and current position;
- organization and/or project name;
- session under which the presentation is being submitted (session I or II);
- chosen discipline if presenting in session I;
- link to social media video or session materials (if prepared);
- tittle of presentation or session;
- brief synopsis;
- stated goals of your presentation or session;
- technology requests (see below)
- Session Length – session I presentations should be fifteen minutes in length with five minutes for questions. Session II proposals should be thirty minutes in length and must include fifteen minutes of Q&A from the audience. Presentation length is subject to change.
- Session Style – all presenters/panelists are encouraged to be as interactive with the audience as possible. We cannot guarantee sessions with more than four presenters/panelists will be accommodated.
- Technology/Room Set-Up – proposals must outline any technology requests for the presentation and preference for room set up (e.g. podium only, head table, and seating set-up. Please note all rooms will be set up in rounds unless otherwise noted). We cannot guarantee that all requests will be honored.
- Materials – final presentation materials must be submitted to the Fulbright Association by Monday, September 29, 2014. Presenters must also bring their presentation with them on a flash drive as well as a laptop.
- Financial Support – the Fulbright Association is unable to provide any financial assistance for presenters including any travel expenses, speaker fees and waived or discounted registration fees. All presenters will present on a pro-bono basis.
- Proposal Submission/Vetting – proposals should be submitted to email@example.com “2014 session proposal” in the subject line. The contact for proposals is Jennifer Gennaro Oxley, firstname.lastname@example.org. Proposals will be vetting by the Fulbright Association conference committee.
All proposals should be received by midnight, July 11, 2014. Notifications will be sent by July 18, 2014.
37th Annual Fulbright Association Conference and Prize Ceremony
DARE to Act!
October 16 – 18, 2014
Hyatt Regency Hotel on Capitol Hill
400 New Jersey Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001
**NEW THIS YEAR – the full conference registration price will include the conference AND the Prize awards ceremony among many other exciting events! You also have the option to register for the Prize awards ceremony separately. Hotel registration is NOW open. You can also call 1-888-421-1442 referencing Fulbright Association in order to make a reservation. Interested in sponsoring? Contact Jennifer@fulbright.org or call 202.775.0725. Stay tuned for exciting speaker and session announcements!
Don’t miss out on inspiring our audience at the Fulbright event of the year!